- This event has passed.
Real-World DBT: Adapting Dialectical Behavior Therapy to Fit Your Practice – Scottsdale
September 23, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm MST
DBT has been the standard of care for borderline personality disorder, but research and practice have shown it to be applicable across settings and populations. Guided by evidence-based practice and moving beyond rote adherence to a manual, this seminar focuses on applying the methodologies of DBT in customized and effective ways in your clinical practice.
Join Mark Carlson, Psy.D., clinician and vice president of the Dialectical Behavior Therapy National Certification and Accreditation Association (DBTNCAA), and take home practical DBT skills to use with your most difficult-to-treat clients. Learn how to:
- Use validation to open the doors for change
- Apply dialectics to balance acceptance with change
- Respect weaknesses while encouraging strengths
- Use effective communication styles in therapy
- Generalize therapeutic gains by keeping behaviorally focused
- Prevent “therapeutic drift” by focusing on the factors that most improve outcomes