Evidence-Based Strategies for Infant Positioning and Handling – Webinar
February 10, 2024 @ 7:00 am - 2:00 pm MST
According to the March of Dimes, in 2016 premature births increased for the first time in eight years to 9.6% or almost 1 in 10 babies. As therapists we are now confronted with even more medically complex infants many of which will suffer from motor, vision and language delays. It is critical that we as clinicians be equipped with the knowledge to influence development as early as possible as it will have a lasting effect throughout their entire life. Many therapists have been introduced to the benefits of using tummy time, however, many clinicians knowledge of strategies and benefits to have a lasting effect on many issues are limited.
In this one-day, hands-on course attendees will be able to look at the uses and benefits of tummy time on motor, vision, and language development. This course will specifically guide participants through hands-on activities on how tummy time has a direct correlation to motor activities such as crawling, jumping, catching a ball, hand writing, reading, drooling, feeding, articulation and vision. Participants will seethe impact vision plays in all aspects of development and how tummy time is the first and best position to improve a baby’s ability to use their eyes together. Attendees will also review documented case studies on how simple eye convergence exercises can impact how a child functions as they develop. Therapists will leave with the knowledge to educate parents of the benefits of tummy time that will empower them to follow through in this critical point in development.
- Immediately improve your understanding of the impact that tummy time has on fine, oral and gross motor development such as sitting, crawling, feeding and swallowing
- Functional strategies to decrease the risk of plagiocephaly and torticollis
- Hands-on labs to practice safe and effective prone treatment strategies to positively impact future development
- Accurate assessment and identification of red flags of typical vs. atypical infants
- Parent education strategies and home treatment routines to maintain and improve function
- Effective tummy time techniques that impact vision and how this correlates to future development