- This event has passed.
THE GUT-BRAIN CONNECTION: FACTS, FADS, & FALLACIES – Phoenix
October 25, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm MST
Participants completing this course will be able to:
1) explain the concept of the gut-brain axis, and its implications for health and disease.
2) describe how microbes and their metabolites communicate with the body and the brain.
3) explain how the microbiome-gut-brain axis influences the development of neurodegenerative, neuropsychiatric, and neurodevelopmental disorders.
4) describe how microbial metabolites regulate immune and metabolic pathways in the body, and how this may impact risk of allergies, autoimmune diseases, obesity and diabetes.
5) explain how the ecology of the oral microbiome impacts both gut and systemic health; discuss implications for modern-day oral healthcare.
6) list potential microbial and gut health disruptors, as well as therapeutic strategies to improve gut and brain health (to become “ecosystem engineers”).
7) describe ways in which the highly complex gut-brain scientific research has been oversold and misinterpreted by the lay press.
8) identify red flags of “pseudoscience” to become a healthy skeptic.
9) describe how the information in this course can be utilized to improve patient care and patient outcomes.1101 N, 44tg