- This event has passed.
NEUROSCIENCE & SELF-REGULATION TECHNIQUES FOR KIDS W/AUTISM, ADHD & SENSORY DISORDERS – SCOTTSDALE OR WEBCAST
February 7, 2019 @ 8:00 am - February 8, 2019 @ 5:00 pm MST
Join Varleisha Gibbs, PhD, OTD, OTR/L, renowned self-regulation expert and author for this intensive 2-day certificate training and learn clinically proven neurological approaches to addressing self-regulation in children and adolescents diagnosed with Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, and ADHD. Knowing the underlying brain connections will help you better select and develop appropriate interventions for challenging behaviors, such as hyper-activity, hypo-activity, aggressiveness, self-stimulatory and inattentiveness.
You will walk away with neurologically tailored sensory strategies, cutting-edge treatment techniques, and sensory equipment strategies, including, mindfulness, social skill programs, music and movement, and respiratory-based techniques.
On day one, you will learn the underlying neurological components to connect the brain to clinical practice through:
- Brain dissection video wet labs, neuroanatomy, pathways, and function
- Autonomic nervous system and its connection to stress, fear, and primitive reflexes
- Video examples of children in a sensory clinic demonstrating positive outcomes when equipment is used appropriately
The second day, you will learn how to analyze and apply treatment techniques, such as:
- Activating the vagus nerve and the nervous system for regulation
- Addressing primitive reflexes and improve social skills and age appropriate behaviors
- Incorporating a mindfulness program for self-regulation
- Applying your knowledge through the use of video case studies to examine the evaluation process, treatment planning, goal development, and re-assessment of children displaying challenging social, eating, and sleeping behaviors
Whether you are an expert on the brain or new to this science, Dr. Gibbs makes it easy to understand and easy to implement. You will leave ignited by revelations exposed in Dr. Gibbs’ presentation!